Light the Lagoon
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
Light the Lagoon 2019
The Winter Holiday Council and the City of Loveland seek artists to transform the Foote Lagoon at the Civic Center into a family-friendly celebration of the light and wonder of the season.
New in 2019, the Winter Holiday Council will expand its holiday decorating into the downtown area through a community display showing holiday lights at the Foote Lagoon.
The City’s intention for this project is to provide lighted holiday-themed vignettes to illuminate the Civic Center’s circular pathway around City Hall, the Public Library, the Chilson Recreation and Senior Center and Senior Housing Complex from November 22, 2019 until January 5, 2020. Lighted holiday displays should celebrate the myriad of holiday traditions of goodwill.
In this inaugural year, up to 10 individual lighted displays, measuring about 8″ x 20″ are desired for the Civic Center.
Placement of the vignettes will be on the grass just off the pathway.
Lighted trees lining the walkway are being considered for illumination with white and multi-colored lights.
Selected artists will be paid an honorarium of $1,800.
Deadline: Friday, September 27, 2019 at 5 pm (applications must be received at the Loveland Museum, 503 N. Lincoln Ave.)
- Display chosen for the Civic Center should be bright with holiday lights and appeal to a wide demographic/suitable for all ages
- Only LED outdoor lighting/items should be used
- Artists are responsible for the fabrication, installation, and maintenance of their display throughout the display period
- Artists will have access to holiday structures owned by the WHC which can be repurposed
- Displays will be lit from sundown until midnight during the duration of the holiday display
- All display materials must be securely anchored into the ground with 6″ stakes and/or sandbags
- Displays must be removed no later than January 8, 2020
Each applicant must provide the following items:
- Completed application
- Sketch or Model of their proposed design (no larger than 11″ x 17″ for drawings, and 11″x 17″x 9″ for 3D models)
- Five digital images of past artistic displays (images should be 1920 x 1080, submitted on a flash drive or CD)
- Please label all materials
Reimagining the Winter Holiday Council has been a collaborative, community-led effort. Since December 2018, the Holiday Council reorganized significantly and is now comprised of over fifteen members that helped cultivate the new approach towards providing a free community holiday display. The new approach embodies the heart of Loveland and engages the local art community, all while upholding the traditional holiday display residents have come to love.
The Winter Holiday Council is a 501(c)(3) non-profit group of dedicated community volunteers. For nearly thirty-years, the Holiday Council has worked to provide a free community holiday display in Loveland.